Shortlist announced for the 25th Society for Theatre Research Theatre Book Prize 2023
The Society for Theatre Research is delighted to reveal the shortlist for the Theatre Book Prize 2023 in its 25thyear.
Judged by theatre critic Cindy Marcolina, performer William Purefoy and historian Jennifer Thorp on a panel chaired by STR Committee Member Howard Loxton, the shortlist includes six titles ranging from an examination of Harold Pinter and Tom Stoppard, to a memoir of how a theatre company helped their community during the coronavirus pandemic.
The judges read 45 books submitted by publishers, encompassing studies of female aerialists to the history of alternative comedy. The complete list of entries appears on the Society’s website: www.str.org.uk
The shortlist is as follows (listed alphabetically by author):
- But Will It Get a Laugh? The Life of Doris Hare in Three Acts by Kate Crehan (STR)
- An Actor’s Life in 12 Productions by Oliver Ford Davies (Book Guild)
- The Club on the Edge of Town: A Pandemic Memoir by Allan Lane (Salamander Street)
- Inside the Rehearsal Room: Process, Collaboration and Decision-Making by Robert Marsden (Methuen Drama)
- Pinter and Stoppard: A Director’s View by Carey Perloff (Methuen Drama)
- The Playwright’s Manifesto: How You Can be the Future of Playwriting by Paul Sirett (Methuen Drama)
2023 marks the 25th STR Theatre Book Prize, which was established in 1998 to celebrate the Society’s Golden Jubilee. The aim of the Book Prize is to encourage the writing and publication of books on British-related theatre history and practice.
Recent winners include Stirring Up Sheffield by Colin and Tedd George; Black British Women’s Theatre by Nicola Abram; Year of the Mad King: The King Lear Diaries by Antony Sher and Balancing Acts by Nick Hytner. Previous members of the judging panel include actors Cleo Sylvestre and Corin Redgrave, producer Thelma Holt, actress-director Yvonne Brewster and critics Michael Billington and Daisy Bowie-Sell.
The winner of this year’s prize will be announced on Thursday 15th June 2023, when the Society will be celebrating both 75 years since its inauguration and 25 years since the Theatre Book Prize was established.
To find out more about the Society for Theatre Research, visit here…
The Theatre Book Prize 2023 ceremony will take place on Thursday 15th June at 6:30pm at St Paul’s Church, Covent Garden, as part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the founding of the Society.
Leave a Comment