The Collaboration is a paint-by-numbers sort of a play. Simple yet satisfying. The show is set up as a boxing match between two of the greatest artists of the 20th Century, Andy Warhol (Paul Bettany) and Jean-Michel Basquiat (Jeremy Pope):
- Warhol and Basquiat’s art-dealer, Bruno Bischofberger (Alec Newman), sees an opportunity to make a lot of money by getting them to work together.
- Warhol, the cynic who is all about money, is reluctantly convinced to work with Basquiat.
- Basquiat, the new kid on the block, unsure of what to do with all their money, is reluctantly convinced to work with Warhol.
- Warhol is intimidated by Basquiat’s freedom.
- Basquiat is frustrated by Warhol’s lack of soul.
- Basquiat softens Warhol.
- Warhol falls for Basquiat.
- They end up making art together and living happily ever after.